Monday, April 23, 2012

LAST GENERATION "Good News" AFTERNOON FEATURED DEVOTIONAL#19 Monday April 23 2012 Iyar 1, 5772

daily discipleship header

Go to devotional:
Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow 

Devotional for Monday, April 23, 2012
Today's Prayer Note from The Navigators:

The Navigators - Africa
Please pray for Navigators teaching and discipling in countries throughout Africa. Pray for hearts to be open to the love of Christ.

Nothing But God

Today's Scripture: 2 Samuel 15-18
Read it online at the Bible Gateway: (NIV) (NASB) (KJV) (The Message)

[I show] love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. - Exodus 20:6

Have you ever been disappointed by the actions of people you love and depend on, and for whom you have the highest hopes and expectations? It hurts when a friend whispers about you or a child lies to you or a spouse breaks a promise.

But consider the life of David. Today's passage is filled with his disappointments from family, associates, and friends. God told David He would punish him for his sin in the matter of Uriah by raising up evil against him out of his own household. 

Immorality and murder were David's sins and, although forgiven, those sins occurred among his children years later when Amnon defiled his sister Tamar and Absalom murdered Amnon in revenge.

These were the beginnings of David's punishment at the hand of God. And I'm sure he suffered deeply from the thought that his own bad example had brought his children to this wickedness. But in the midst of it all, David learned there was one who would never fail him--his God.

Listen to David's words: "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken... My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge" (Psalm 62:1-2,7-8).

Christian, have you learned that lesson? What are your disappointments today? They hurt, I know, but now is the time to follow David's example. Respond to God with thanksgiving and joy!

Prayer

Lord, I often rely on people, things, and systems that are unreliable. Today I renew my total dependence on You. Amen.

To Ponder

Your worst circumstances may be God's best opportunity to bring new meaning to your life.


The text for this devotional comes from the NavPress book Daily Discipleship, which features devotionals taken from radio broadcasts by long-time Navigator LeRoy Eims. For more information or to order a copy, visit the NavPress website.
We welcome your comments
If you have any questions or comments about Daily Discipleship or any of our other devotional resources, feel free to contact us at: devotion@navigators.org or give us a call (Mon-Fri 7:00am - 4:30pm Mountain Time) at 866-568-7827 (toll-free)

Visit the The Navigators' Devotional Ministry website for more devotional resources.

Contact us by mail:

The Navigators
Attn: Devotional Ministries
PO Box 6000
Colorado Springs, CO 80934
Get Daily Discipleship in your inbox...
Click here to receive Daily Discipleship each day (Monday - Saturday) by email.
Copyright 2012 The Navigators. All Rights Reserved.