Thursday, April 26, 2012

LAST GENERATION "Good News" EARLY MORNING FEATURED DEVOTIONAL#3 Thursday April 26 2012 Iyar 4, 5772

Searchlight with Pastor Jon Courson

Home

Recent Service - Audio
Sunday, April 15

Recent Service - Video
Sunday, April 15

Recent Service - Audio
Wednesday, April 25

Recent Service - Video
Wednesday, April 25

Listen To All and/or
Buy Any of Jon's
Teachings Online
 
• Most Recent Teachings
 
• Topical and Expositional
Teachings Sorted By
Bible Book
 
• Topical Teachings
Sorted By
Teaching Topic
 
• Miscellaneous Teachings
(Prophecy, Holidays and
Special Teachings)
 
SearchLight Podcasts

SearchLight Store
• CDs and DVDs
 
• Bible Commentaries
 
• Books
 
• Thru-the-Bible
MP3 CD Set
 
• Bible Study Packets
By Topics
 
• Bible Study Packets
By Books of the Bible
 
• Other Resources
 
• Donations
 
Listen to Recent
Radio Programs

Rays of Light -
Topical Writings
By Jon

Contact Us

Radio Stations

Photo Gallery

Applegate Christian
Fellowship

KAPL Radio Live

Ben Courson
Teachings, Writings
and Podcast

Peter-John Courson
Capo Beach Calvary

TamboArt


Bible and Menora
 
 
Hear the Word
Listen To Bible Teachings
Listen online to any of the more than 1,500 teachings from Jon's complete Thru-The-Bible series from Genesis to Revelation.
Listen To Recent SearchLight Radio Programs
These are archives of the SearchLight radio programs that are broadcast on Monday thru Friday each week.
Listen To This Week's Recommended Teaching 
Each week we select a popular teaching from Jon's archives. This week's teaching from Ephesians is "Jesus: At Home In Your Heart."

Daily Devotional
April 26
 
 ... Serving the Lord with all humility of mind ... 
 Acts 20:19 
 
Paul’s gifts were great. His abilities were mind-boggling. Intellectually, theologically, oratorically, the guy was incredible. Yet he said, ‘I served you with humility of mind’, because he knew every ability he had was a gift from God.

Humility of mind means truly esteeming others better than yourself (Philippians 2:3). Humility of mind means not finding fault with a brother or sister, but finding fruit — approving those things which are excellent within them. Humility of mind means realizing it’s the grace of God, not our own merit, which allows us to know Him and walk with Him. 

I recall driving Highway 42 from San Bernardino to Twin Peaks where I was to address a group of spiritual leaders. As I wound my way up the road, I found myself praying, ‘Lord, I want to be like You when I talk to my brothers at the conference.’ 

I thought it was a pretty good prayer — until the Lord spoke to my heart so clearly that I literally had to pull of the road.

‘You want to be like Me?’ He asked.
‘Yes,’ I answered.
‘Why do you want to be like Me, Jon?’
‘Well, Lord, because You’re so awesome.’
‘Did you ask to be like Me when you were with your kids two mornings ago?’
‘No.’
‘But you’re asking to be like Me now — when you’re about to talk to a group of pastors?’

I was busted. I had prayed that prayer hundreds, if not thousands of times before. It was a noble request, but, you see, my motivation was amiss. I didn’t necessarily want to be like Him so I could serve my kids humbly. No, I wanted to be like Him so I could minister powerfully.

Watch out for those times when you think you are being spiritual, lest an entirely different form of pride surface. Instead, be like Paul. Serve the Lord with humility of mind.
 
This Daily Devotional is an excerpt from the book "A Days Journey" by Pastor Jon. "A Days Journey" is a collection of 365 short devotions from the New Testament.  If you would like your own copy of "A Days Journey" you may click here to go to the SearchLight Store