Thursday, March 17, 2011

LastCall: Jon Courson “Boaz said, “I know you, Ruth. I’ve heard about you.”

The Last Call Devotions Network

"Legacy"

March 17
 
 And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore. The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust. 
 Ruth 2:11-12 
 
Boaz said, “I know you, Ruth. I’ve heard about you.”

The same is true of us. We fall before our Greater-than-Boaz and say, “Why have I found grace in Your sight?”

And He answers, “I know you.” 

Romans 8 declares, “whom He did foreknow, He predestined; whom He predestined, He called; whom He called, He justified; whom He justified, He glorified.” It all begins with the foreknowledge of God. He says, “’I know you guys. I see your hearts. And I’m choosing you. I’m electing you. I’ve chosen to be gracious unto you.”

I can’t help but think of Nathanael . . .

When Philip came to him in John 1, saying he had found the Messiah, Nathanael cynically said, “Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?”

“Come and see,” Philip said.

When Jesus later saw Nathanael coming, He said, “Behold an Israelite in whom there is no guile - one who is not easily tricked.”

I like that! Jesus could have condemned Nathanael for his cynicism. Instead, he commended him for his caution.

“How do you know me?” asked Nathanael.

“Before Philip came to you, I saw you sitting under the fig tree,” Jesus answered (see John 1:48).

The Lord sees us. The Lord knows us. And the Lord has chosen to show grace unto us. I don’t understand it. I don’t deserve it. But I am so grateful for it.

Good news, gang. The Lord does not condemn you. He commends you. He doesn’t focus on your sin. He hears your sigh. He hears your heart saying, “I want more of You, Lord. Even though I am a Moabite, even though I have problems, I want to be right in Your sight.” And He responds with grace.

 

 

 

Last Call Devotional Network

 

Last Call Digest  Last Call Devotionals  Last Call Devotions  Last Call Journal