Thursday, February 10, 2011

MyAnswer: Billy Graham "When You Face the Sunset Years"

 

When You Face the Sunset Years

I am seventy-two years old. I have a depressed and hopeless feeling. I have no living relatives. Is there anything left in life for a man of my age. If so, how can I find it?

A very old man — much older than you — when he lay dying, said, "I have found that all the sugar is at the bottom of the cup." Life can grow sweeter and more rewarding as we grow older if we possess the presence of Christ. Bifocals and gray hair are no barriers to rich adventure. There can be no depression and no loneliness if Christ is centered in your life. Sunsets are always glorious. It is Christ who adds colors, glory, and beauty of man's sunsets. Try to find one person a day to whom you can add your new joy in Christ.

I am a doctor who has given his life to a community for many years for small fees. Now that I am old, I have no security and no support. This has created a bitter and resentful feeling in me toward those I have served. Is there an answer to such a bitter spirit?

 

It is one of the common experiences of life that old people so frequently become bitter and resentful. When one has given generously of his time and effort for the good of others, it is natural when that generosity is not returned for that person to resent the ungratefulness of the masses. Your natural goodness and generosity are not always returned as you expect. Unless there is another motive for service, one cannot help becoming bitter. If your service is given in the name of Christ then you can serve without hoping for reward. Jesus gave Himself to and for sinning humanity and His giving was prompted by love. Even now, there is a chance for you, for if you would even at this late date in your life surrender your life to Christ and receive Him as Saviour and Lord, you would have the inward sweetness and love that is a by-product of a changed life.

   Another point, it seems to me that your community has a responsibility to you that they are neglecting. The neglect of older people is becoming an increasing sin in America.

I am a very old man now. I have been very wicked all my life. Just recently I found Jesus through one of your radio broadcasts. Is there any way I can redeem the years I have lost?

Sin makes an indelible impression on us in this life. You will never get over the regret of having lived for the devil all these years. But God can do the impossible. God can do more with a few days of your time if given completely to Him, than He can with a whole life that is characterized by a halfhearted service. The lukewarm Christian can accomplish nothing with a whole life in which to do it. If you have lived for sin and self these many years, your witness will have telling effect on all who have known you. They will see the change and will be deeply impressed by God's power in your life. In your short time, take advantage to let everyone know the change that has been wrought in you through your faith in Christ. God can, through your yieldedness, accomplish much in a short time. Now is not the time for discouragement, but for a song of triumph and victory. Let everyone know of God's grace toward you.

I am a very old man now. All my life I have been a churchgoer, and have lived an honest and decent life. In your preaching I notice that you speak so often of joy and peace. I have never known any joy, and have often longed for peace but have found none. Is this a matter of personality and temperament, or have I just missed something?

It has been thought by many that to be religious is to be serious and even gloomy. Jesus did not teach it this way. He said: "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you." The Psalmist said: "In thy presence is fullness of joy," and Paul said: "Rejoice in the Lord and again I say Rejoice." These are not the sayings of advocates of a gloomy and desolate religion. Christianity gives men and women a song and a smile, no matter what the circumstances are.

   It may be that you have never had more than just "religion." Unless you have discovered the glorious person of Christ, and unless you have been drawn to Him, you have no genuine cause for joy. Sin has taken the joy out of the lives of many, and only the forgiveness of sins can restore that joy. Sin has robbed men of the inward abiding peace we all seek, and only the Saviour can give it. But also a religion apart from the experience of a risen Christ can leave you miserable. Let go of "religion" and lay hold of the person of Christ by faith and these things will be yours. Old age need not be a time of sorrow but increasing joy.

A friend of mine recently lost her husband. Although she has been a fine Christian, she seems to have lost interest in everything. What help or counsel should I give her?

 

The husband-wife relationship is the closest of all earthly relationships, and it is not to be wondered at that the death of one will come as a blow to the other. It does not mean that the bereaved is without faith in God or deficient in faith. The Bible teaches that on the occasion of death "we sorrow" (I Thessalonians 4:13). Abraham, who is cited as an example of faith, wept and sorrowed at the death of his wife, Sarah (Genesis 23:2). But the Christian does not sorrow as do those who are without hope. He looks forward to the time of the resurrection and reunion. Point out these wonderful truths to your bereaved friend, and pray for her that the Lord will use His Word to afford her comfort in a time of deep sorrow and loss. Show her that the loss is her loved one's gain, and at worst is only temporary.

I am a very old man and have been very wicked all my life. I would like to turn to God now but am afraid He won't accept me at this late hour. Besides, I am no longer able to do anything to merit His favor. Can you help me?

Don't you know that the desire to know the Lord shows that the Spirit of God is now speaking to you, otherwise you would have no desire? Your age is not the most important consideration in this matter so long as there is the desire. Jesus once gave a parable to show that it makes no difference providing you respond to the invitation when it is given. That parable is found in Matthew 20:1-16 and ends with the familiar verse: "So the last shall be first and the first last."

   There is a good reason why this is so. Salvation does not depend on your personal merit but on the merit of Jesus Christ. In a lifetime you could not store up sufficient merit to enter Heaven. Concerning this Paul once wrote: "Where is the glorying? It is excluded. By what manner of law? Of works? Nay, but by a law of faith." I urge you, then, to respond to the urge to trust Christ, for He is able to save all that come unto God by Him.

I have passed the proverbial "three score years and ten," have been pensioned by my company, and in general seem quite useless. Actually, I feel very well and would like to be doing things, but nobody wants my help.

You can have some of your most useful and happy years before you. With no responsibilities in employment you can devote your time, strength, and wisdom gained from experience to help in very worthwhile projects in your church and community. Your busy pastor has many little tasks that are really important in themselves which he can assign to you. There are shut-ins to visit and widows and orphans to advise, the discouraged to cheer, the young men to counsel. With an old head and a young heart you can be a source of real strength to the many who need your cheer and encouragement. In your community you will find tasks that should be done, but are overlooked or neglected by busy people in the prime of life, and which you can do very satisfactorily. If you seem to be "on the shelf" make sure that you are on a shelf so low that your friends and neighbors can reach you easily and enlist you to help them do the things for which you are much better qualified than they. Just do not sit in the corner and look inwardly; rather, be on the corner to respond to the challenge — and above all make sure you have made preparation for the inevitable by accepting Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour. Life does not begin at forty but with God.

I went to church as long as I could. Now I am elderly and infirm and cannot attend services. Does this really matter? I try to live a Christian life and do all the good I can for others.

I am glad to take this opportunity of sending a brief message to you and other shut-in Christians who are denied the privilege of worshiping in church on Sundays.

   Such worship is, I know, one of the great joys of the Christian life and a real means of grace, but I would ask you to remember that true worship is not dependent upon particular times and places.

   Read in your Bible what the Lord Jesus said about that to the Samaritan woman (John 4:19-24).

   Your home may be your Bethel where you find God's presence always near and in the sanctuary of your heart you may draw near to Him at all times through Jesus Christ.

 

   Participate when you can in the religious services on the radio. This will give you a sense of fellowship with other Christians and help you to feel that you are not entirely cut off from the worship of the church.

   Above all, I would urge you to exercise a special ministry of prayer during these days. Make this a real piece of Christian service as you remember before God the needs of His church and His world.