Thursday, January 27, 2011

OpinionsFromGotQuestions: Is the statement “Forgiveness must be granted freely, but trust must be earned” biblically accurate?



Forgiveness and trust?

Is the statement “Forgiveness must be granted freely, but trust must be earned” biblically accurate? When we forgive someone, does that mean we must also trust that the person will not sin against us again?


11 Comments »

  1. Comment by Yvonne
    Yes, I believe this is true of person to person, but we must always put our trust in God!
  2. Comment by Debbie
    No, this is not Biblically correct. What if God said, “I forgive you, but I won’t forget…” Biblical forgiveness is a fresh start with the slate wiped clean. Our sin nature makes it hard for us to do that. Thank Jesus that the Father posesses true Biblical forgiveness!
    MARANATHA
  3. Comment by Betsy Baird Quillen
    From them whom have received forgiveness freely (thru Christ), forgiveness should free be granted/given to others.
    Trust earned? No. We are to “Trust in the LORD with all of hearts….”, we are never told in God’s Word to “trust” in man. Love one another, yes. Place our trust in eachother, no. “Be” trustworthy, for sure!
  4. Comment by Travis
    I would forgive someone and trust them yes but if the person kept doing the same thing over and over well then a line is needed.
    if the person kept doing the same thing to me then my trust would ran out for that person but that does not mean i would not forgive him, as for God he will never do anything to me that would make me doubt my trust in him.
  5. Comment by Mimi
    No, we do not have to trust that the person that we have forgiven, will never sin against us, again. Most likely it will happen and again we will need to forgive. The old saying forgive but don’t forget. We can forgive, but if someone repeatedly losses our trust, than, we also can chose to avoid putting ourselves in the same position with them.
  6. Comment by Rd
    “Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
    Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.” Matthew 18:22-22
  7. Comment by ceseeley
    Forgiveness is best for the forgiver, but total trust is a deception because one cannot even trust themselves 100% less alone others!
  8. Comment by Kevin
    I think that unconditional forgiveness should be granted by any Christian just as Christ had forgiven us. As to trusting someone, I think that the issue resides with our own Holy Spirit. I don’t think there’s a problem with trusting someone else as long as God comes first for all things. I also think that when the Bible tells of peoplenot being able to become trusted it’s referring to the world of sin. We as Christians are not of this worlds so as long as it’s Godly, and passes the test of Philippians 4:8 can be done.
  9. Comment by Michael James Stone
    How often must we forgive? Seven times? Nay seventy times seven, and who do we Trust? No one. Jesus said he entrusted himself to know man for he knew what was in the heart of man.
    ALL men are liars and the truth is not in them. I am a man. I am a Born again Christian and I have no problem with that scripture, for it speaks to the carnal nature all men have to war against as inhabiting the flesh, though crucified, I live in.
    Is this then fatalistic? No Optimistic for while I do not Trust in men, I can “Trust in the Lord with all My heart and lean not into my own understanding, In all my ways acknowledge Him and Let Him direct my path”
    When I turn my focus from Trust in fallible Man to Trust in the infallible God, I can rest assured my “Trust is Scriptural>”
    BUT does that mean I distrust Man, NO, far from it, I expect a Righteous man to fall seven times and rise again so I am not Overwhelmed or surprised if a person fails, that is scriptural which is WHY we have mercy and grace.
    NOT ONLY for ourselves, but for each other. Forgiveness is exercised because it is not a free pass or excuse, but a recognition that God is accurate about us, and Only He can be trusted In all we are, say and do.
    Earned Trust is contrary to scripture because it sets parameters for achievement of Trust independent of God. Faith is recognition of the opportunity God has to use and to provide a means irrespective of circumstance to have Faith in HIS ability to use a Man.
    We aren’t called to Trust one another but to submit to one another…..BIG DIFFERENCE.
  10. Comment by Nelson
    From my position, I think Travis has the better conception of forgiveness and trust.
    Indeed, contrary to what Betsy contends, while forgiveness is free and given to all, trust is to be earned and must be despensed wisely. That’s what being “trustworthy” (worthy of trust) is all about.
  11. Comment by Debbie
    Unfortunately, “forgiveness” and “trust” are like apples and oranges. Forgiveness has nothing to do with trust. Rd quoted MATT 18:22 which Scripture says “forgive seventy times seventy.” Forgiveness is about agape love. Agape love is not an emotional type of love. Therefore, we can even love our enemies. That does not mean we will invite them to potluck.
    Trust indicates a relationship and perhaps a (philos) love. Trust has to do with loyalty and priority. What priority does a person have in your life. Obviously, number one is going to get more trust than number 99. That also means number one can hurt us more than number 99. I don’t really think you can put the two together. God’s forgiveness also forgets. “”I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.” (ISA 43:25) I don’t know if it is possible for humans to do this in a relationship. I guess that is why God IS love.
    MARANATHA