Thursday, January 27, 2011

MyAnswer: Billy Graham "How to Cure a Bad Habit."

How to Cure a Bad Habit

I have no patience with people who get intoxicated, but do you think a little social drinking to promote good fellowship does any harm?

Of course it does. Can you be blind to the fact that one drink often leads to another? In every city I visit someone asks me to pray for a husband, or wife, or son who started as a social drinker and now has become an alcoholic. Today you think you have perfect self-control. But if you make a habit of drinking what will you do when you face anxiety or disappointment?

   You also have some responsibility for the welfare of your neighbor. Your example may lead him into a habit he cannot break. If you encourage him to do anything which brings his downfall, you are guilty. And don't forget that alcohol is the cause of many of our traffic accidents, and a man who commits murder on the highway because his responses are slow, or he doesn't see where he's going, is guilty in the sight of God.

   Our bodies are the temples of our souls. We must treat them with respect. The Bible says: "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God" (I Corinthians 10:31). This is a command no Christian should ignore.

Is there any help or hope for an alcoholic? I am one and have a very guilty feeling about it. It preys on my mind constantly even when I am asleep. Everyone tells me I must give up drinking, but it isn't that easy. I cannot destroy the craving that I have for liquor, yet in my mind I want to be rid of it. I feel depressed and resentful, and it is so bad that every night when I go to bed I hope I will never awaken again.

Yes, there definitely is hope for an alcoholic. Many alcoholics have been converted to Jesus Christ and have been completely delivered from the terrible craving that they have had for many years.

   Although there are many organizations that do provide excellent help for the alcoholic, yet Jesus Christ can provide the greatest therapy for the disease.

   Those who know something about alcoholism tell us that the first step toward deliverance is to have a strong desire for deliverance and to admit the fact, "I am alcoholic." In saying this, they have stated tremendous truth, for you can never be saved from your sins until you first of all admit, "I am a sinner," and then have a desire to have your life changed.

   Jesus Christ can change your life. He said: "I am come that ye might have life, and that ye might have it more abundantly." Drunkenness is a sin according to the Bible and must be treated that way, although it develops into a sickness.

   Thus to go at the heart of the matter and treat it as sin — finding God's forgiveness — often provides a "cure." I know many who would gladly testify to this "miracle" in their lives.

Why do some Christians speak out again such habits as smoking, et cetera, and you seem to say little or nothing about them? Isn't it time to make known the evils of such practices?

The medical profession has done an excellent job in alerting the American public to the dangers of smoking. A multitude of magazine articles and medical reports have established the relationship of the habit with the occurrence of lung cancer. But God did not call me to militate against any particular vice, but to proclaim Christ. If I were to begin championing causes of one sort or another, it would be difficult to know which particular cause is most worthy.

   There is a good reason why so many Christians do speak out against the use of tobacco. The Bible teaches that when a man is converted to Christ and receives pardon for his sin that Christ enters into his heart to dwell. In this sense Christianity is much more than theory or religion. It is a relatedness to Christ. Having come to dwell, we are then to regard the human body as sacred. "Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which ye have from God, and ye are not your own. For ye were bought with a price; glorify God therefore in your body."

   This verse applies to many things — for example, overeating or gluttony, or the wrong use of sex, et cetera. Anything that is harmful to the body is not glorifying God.

Is it a sin to gamble for small stakes? In our office we often "flip" for drinks or for lunch.

At the risk of being called a prude, I must be frank in answering your question about petty gambling.

   Most professional gamblers began their careers as petty gamblers, just as most alcoholics began their drinking moderately. There is something alluring about getting something for nothing, I realize that. And that is where the sin of it lies. Gambling of any kind amounts to "theft" by permission. The coin is flipped, the dice are rolled, or the horses run, and somebody rakes in that which belongs to another. The Bible says: "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread." It doesn't say, "By the flip of a coin, shalt thou eat thy lunch." I realize that in most petty gambling, no harm is intended. But the principle is the same as in big gambling. The difference is only in the amount of money involved.

   Gambling in the United States in a recent year amounted to $21,000,000,000; while the cost of all crime was $20,000,000,000. More than twice as much is spent for gambling as is spent on alcohol and milk and dairy products. It is the principle folly of man. And one of the sad things about it is that most of the profits go to the big syndicates who are out to beat the small gambler.

I have difficulty sleeping at night without sleeping tablets. Is it wrong to use artificial aids for sleep?

Physicians say that five millions in America must take sleeping tablets in order to sleep. I heard of one man who set his alarm clock for 2 A.M. to wake himself up, so he could take another pill.

   Lack of sleep is caused by a number of things: tension, worry, and the lack of proper work or exercise. The Bible suggests another reason for sleeplessness: "The wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt" (Isaiah 57:20). Though I would not say that believing Christians are never troubled with insomnia, I do believe that much sleeplessness is caused by a troubled conscience. I used to have sleepless nights when thoughts of my critics raced through my mind. But as I dropped on my knees and asked God to fill my heart with His love, I have found peace — and rest.

   Try repeating this verse from Isaiah over and over in your mind when you can't sleep: "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in Thee." Let thoughts of God's love, holiness, and majesty fill your mind, and I believe it will help you to find rest and relaxation.

I am addicted to dope and want to break the habit. My parents don't know about it and I don't dare ask them for the money for doctors and hospital to get cured. They would be heartbroken if they knew about it, so what can I do?

Sooner or later every sin brings its own penalty and you are already paying the price for a "fling." No doubt you already see a relationship between your ways and a spiritual problem or you would not have asked us for help. I have this word of encouragement for you, because I have known persons addicted to dope to be delivered from it when they sincerely repented of all their sins and turned to Christ for deliverance. Any medical cure would be nothing more than temporary, for you might be brought under the influence again unless you experience a complete change of heart and life. This is just what Jesus Christ can do for you.

   I don't believe you are giving your parents a chance when you refuse to confide in them. If they would be heartbroken because of your condition, they would be more so if they were left to discover it some other way. Go to them with your problem, and if they are what parents should be, they will go to the limit to help you find a way out.

I have an uncontrollable tongue and I know it. It is just my nature to talk, talk, talk; but it bothers my husband, and I would like to overcome it. What would you suggest?

Your desire to stop is the first step, and here are a few suggestions: (1) ask the Lord to give you a love for and a genuine interest in other people; (2) develop the art of being a good listener; not only will you become a more charming and agreeable companion, you will learn a lot; and (3) if you simply have to talk be constructive, kind, humorous, interesting. Whatever you do, be brief. Solomon says, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin." It has been wisely said, "To be able to converse in several languages is valuable; to be able to hold your tongue in one is priceless." Remember, the greatest talkers are seldom great conversationalists, and always, great bores.

When traffic brushes occur when I am driving I find myself calling other drivers vile names. They don't hear me. I excuse myself by saying that it is a good psychological safety valve. As a Christian must I overcome such a habit?

In answering let me ask you a question. Why is it that an otherwise decent, lawabiding, Godfearing citizen so often becomes vile, uncouth, and ungentlemanly when he drives an automobile? It makes no moral difference whether or not the other driver heard you, although it might make a physical difference should he hear you — unless you are a good fighter or can run pretty fast. The driver's wheel may change him into something approaching the subhuman, also. Your changed personality behind the wheel tends toward more accidents. Decency and courtesy contribute a great deal to safety on our highways. Indecency and discourtesy not only endanger others but also are denials of anything Christlike. Frankly, I doubt your sincerity in asking the question.

I am an entertainer and work at night. I do feel my need of God, but lately I have taken to drink. I sometimes feel that life is so futile and empty. Is there any help for me?

Yes, of course there is help for you. Offhand I would say you are in a rut, and a rut is nothing but a long, narrow grave. Your life seems futile and empty principally because up to now it has been futile and empty.

   But you must not let it continue to be that way. You see, you were not made to live without a purpose. The Bible says that we were "created a little lower than the angels." In short, we were made for God's fellowship. Deep inside us is the awareness of this fact. It is written indelibly upon our hearts and our consciences. That is the reason you feel life is empty — because you have not discovered real purpose.

   Now, how can you do it? First, bow before God and say something like this: "Christ, I bring my empty life to you. Please fill it with thy love and grace. Forgive me for wasting my time and talents, and help me to make my life count for something from this moment on." Then claim this promise; "Him that cometh unto me I will in no wise cast out." I have known hundreds of people who found peace by just praying a simple prayer from the heart such as this. Try it, and if you really mean it a miracle will happen. Then go out and share your newfound joy.

I was one of the "converts" in the New York Crusade meeting. My life since then has been entirely different, but I'm discouraged because I still can't get over my sharp temper and some of my old ways of doing things. Must I go on living such a defeated kind of living?

No, for God has made provision for a victorious kind of Christian living. It is all taught in the Bible, and for the new Christian it is most important that you become familiar with its teachings. Let me suggest something that will help you.

   First, victory in the Christian life is not faultlessness. The impact of sin makes deep impressions upon all of us, and they do not disappear in a moment. You received new directions when you were born again, but now you must grow.

   Second, newborn infants need food regularly and in increasing amounts. As a spiritual babe, you need the food of God's Word. We are told to "Desire the sincere milk of the Word that ye may grow thereby" (I Peter 2:2).

   Third, we will be happy to send you Bible helps if you write for them to our Minneapolis office.

   Be assured that God can give you victory over your temper. The Scripture promises, "Sin shall not have dominion over you." This means that sin shall not rule or dominate you. Claim the victory by faith.