Monday, January 24, 2011

QuestionOfTheWeek: ““What did Jesus mean when He said, ‘Take up your cross and follow Me’?”

 

 

What are your thoughts on this week’s QOTW –

“What did Jesus mean when He said, ‘Take up your cross and follow Me’?”

http://www.gotquestions.org/questweek.html

18 Comments »

  1. Comment by David White

    How wonderful it is to have someone put so eloquently into words what had been revealed to me. Thank you.

  2. Comment by Mimi...YOUR Grace YOUR Grace, I could do mothing with out YOU LORD.


    Grace – Michael W Smith

    Jesus meant that HE wanted every bit of who we are. He wants us to follow HIM with ALL of our heart, soul and mind. To truly give HIM ALL we can give & in return HE wants to Bless us beyond what we can imagine, in both big and small ways…just to be with HIM and HIM with us<3
    By taking up the cross we are in communion with Christ's sufferings and He will give us the Grace we need to get through, what ever life throws our way. TRUST me some times life doesn't through things our way, but hurls it at us. His Grace is sufficient….

    II Corinthians 12:9
    And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness.

    Grace enables you to make it, no matter what. No matter who turns against you, no matter what obstacles you face, no matter how many times you fail. God's incredible grace is there to pick you up, to revive lost hope, to heal broken bones, and to strengthen your weak will. It is never inadequate, nor is it ever depleted. It never spoils and it has no expiration date.

    How do I make God's grace a reality in my life? Simply by claiming the promises in His Word. Tell Him your need. Abandon your own efforts and trust Him to work things out. Be sensitive to see and hear the leading of His Spirit.

    His grace saves you . . .
    "For by grace are ye saved through faith . . . it is the gift of God . . ." (Ephesians 2:8-9).

    His grace guides and directs you . . .
    "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye," (Psalm 32:8). ". . . the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness," (Psalm 18:28).

    His grace hears your cry and carries your burdens and sorrows . . .
    "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon Him, to all that call upon Him in truth," (Psalm 145:18). "He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows," (Isaiah 55:4).

    His grace provides for all your needs . . .
    "But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus," (Philippians 4:19).

    His grace keeps you going . . .
    ". . . but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day," (II Corinthians 4:16).

    His grace never leaves you alone . . .
    "My presence will go with thee, and I will give thee rest," (Exodus 33:14).

    In Lord, I Need Grace to Make It Kay Arthur writes, "For the victorious Christian, the one who lives as more than a conqueror, grace is more than a theological term. Grace is a reality, a fact of life. It is by grace that one becomes a Christian, and it is by grace that one lives the Christian life."

    Precious Lord, thank You that Your grace is available to me any time I seek it, and that it provides everything I need to make it through life.

    By Ann Shorb
    ©Copyright Ann Shorb, 2006

    It is through suffering that we gain our greatest growth, many times. So don't be afraid to pick up your cross, a few splinters can bless us in the end.

  3. Comment by Nelson

    The command to take up the Cross may just demand a little bit more than being willing to die; it may require making preparations to die for the Name.

    If we our loyalty and commitment is not now – at this very moment – to the point of physical death, it won’t be later.

    The idea of “dying to self” is convenient since we determine what it is and under what circumstances we are willing to die. But to truly realize that the Cross demands the very physical (as well as spiritual) life, is to truly find what it means to be a Christ-follower, a disciple of Jesus, a witness of His life and a co-worker in his sufferings.

    Suffering and death at not apportioned at our convenience; loyalty is never demanded when all is well in our relationship with others.

    The point is that the time to die for Christ is now. Are we made the necessary preparations? If we have not prepared ourselves now for martyrdom, how can we know we will not later renege on our faith?

  4. Comment by Rd

    “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.” Romans 12:2

    “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ……” Romans 1:16

    To full on For Jesus, matter the cost.

    Read the “Foxe’s book of martyrs.”

    Look at all the Jesus disciples. All died of a violent death For Jesus.

  5. Comment by Grandpa EC

    I appreciate GotQuestions’ answer to the QOTW; wouldn’t know how to improve on it.

  6. Comment by Edith Jane

    Amen! Amen! I have nothing to add or take away from QOTW! I once thought “Take up your cross…” meant to physically carry a burden but after awhile that didn’t make sense to me. Jesus died so that I wouldn’t have to do that. Christ carried the burden so that we wouldn’t have to. We call on the name of the Lord our Savior JESUS CHRIST and He is there!
    God bless you!!
    JESUS IS LORD!!

  7. Comment by Jasmina

    i have been hurt by alot of people and is there a way i cant get over it i just think about it

  8. Comment by Debbie

    Jasmina,
    Jesus Christ was hurt by alot of people as well. He died in the process. Cast your cares on Him and get into fellowship. Focus on the Word of God. If you are busy filling your mind with Jesus, you won’t be thinking so much about your hurt. Don’t let your anger and bitterness consume you life. “See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled” (HEB 12:15) It is a choice. We can either let it go or hang on to it forever….don’t become a Christian casualty!
    MARANATHA

  9. Comment by Mimi

    Jasmine forgive yourself and do better. Ask for forgiveness for those you hurt and then put it behind you. Draw close to the LORD and he will guide you with the rest.
    Colossians 3:13
    Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (NIV)

    God Bless You,
    Mimi

  10. Comment by John Thacker

    Your answer is historically incorrect. Taking up the cross and carrying it was first for rebels and was a final act of submission to Roman authority. What Jesus was saying was to submit to his authority. Go to the library and do some research. I have.

  11. Comment by John Thacker

    Your information is incorrect. History records that to carry the cross was the final submission to Roman authority, that is the reason that another was compelled to carry the cross. Jesus was telling the people to submit to his authority. Go to the library and do some research. I have.

  12. Comment by Edith Jane

    Jasmina #7,
    This life is going to throw a bunch of punches. You might be hurt by those who you thought were your friends but ALWAYs hang on to and count on Jesus Christ who sticks closer than a brother! I’ve been hurt by people… my own blood family! I haven’t spoken to them in 4 years and all the years before that were hanging on a very thin string. I’ve gotten over it by removing myself from them, this may not be the solution for you and I’m not suggesting you do what I did I’m only telling my story. My older sister is the one who I feel most hurt by but I have forgiven her but her hostility against me keeps me from her. It’s hard to get over these things – it has been for me – but it has drawn me closer to the Lord. It’s these types of hurts that shape you and your walk with Christ our Lord. Just remember that when Jesus went to His home town he was treated with the same hostility and was hurt by it too. You may be asking “Why does this have to happen?” well… you are an enemy of this world, you belong to God Almighty and you are standing in a place full of God’s enemies. When I’m going through the problems this life hands out I take it as a compliment. Problems tell me I belong to the King of kings and the Lord of lords!!!
    Remember, hang on to the Lord!
    God bless you sister!

  13. Comment by Mimi

    *Jasmina (I apologize).

  14. Comment by Rambo

    You go John Thacker! Also note that Jesus was first silent in His trial as an act of refusing to submit to Roman authority, Jesus did not acknowledge the court. “You have the right to remain silent…” Sound familiar? Pilate found nothing worthy of death, so he just had Jesus thrashed hoping to satisfy the “Pharisees.” No way do we have to “tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth…” Next time I’ll remain silent on that one!
    As such, Jesus was turned over to the Pharisees who demanded crucifixion when the Pharisees threatened Pilate that if he didn’t, Pilate would be dishonoring Cesaer.
    Never heard your point that Jesus’ aid with the cross further rebuked Roman jurisdiction. Great job John!

  15. Comment by Anonymous

    1 Peter 2:21 “because you were called even unto this; because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that we should follow his steps.
    Who did no sin, no deceit was found in his mouth.
    Who, when he was reviled, did not revile back.
    When he suffered he did not threaten, but committed ‘fully’ to him who judges righteously.
    Who his own self bore our sins in his own body on the tree.
    So we, being dead to sins, live unto righteousness.
    By his stripes we are healed.”

    Hebrews 13:12 “so Jesus also, because he sanctified the people with his own blood, suffered outside the gate.
    So let us go out to him, outside the gate, bearing his reproach.”

    Isaiah 53:6 “Yehovah has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
    He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth.
    He is brought like a lamb to the slaughter, and like a sheep is mute before her shearers, so he did not open his mouth.
    For the transgression of my people he was afflicted.
    He had done no violence.
    No deceit was in his mouth.
    It pleased Yehovah to bruise him.
    When You make his soul an offering for sin, he sees his children. He sees the anguish of his soul, and is satisfied.
    By his knowledge, My Righteous Servant justifies many; because he bears their iniquity.”

    The disciple of the Saviour is to have heart like the Saviour.
    Take up your cross?

  16. Comment by Nelson

    Jasmina,

    1. I am reminded of an interesting quote from the movie “Princess Bride” that went something like… “Life is pain and if anyone tries to tell you any different, he’s trying to sell you something.”

    2. An internet forum is not the place to share personal hurts and fears. Nobody can really give you any solid advice that would be relative to your unique situation; we can only offer generalitites, which may do more harm than good.

    3. Seek a trusted friend. Yes, they may be hard to find but God promises not to leave us on our own: he gives the lonely a family.

    4. My only advice, use the hurt to be sensitive to the needs of others.

    Not much else I can say.

  17. Comment by Mimi

    Jasmina,
    If you ever come back and read these comments, please ignore what Nelson said. No disrespect to you Nelson, I just see things differently.
    God Bless,
    Mimi

  18. Comment by Edith Jane

    I agree Mimi.

    Nelson #16,
    you said “2. An internet forum is not the place to share personal hurts and fears. Nobody can really give you any solid advice that would be relative to your unique situation; we can only offer generalitites, which may do more harm than good.” but then you said “3. God promises not to leave us on our own: he gives the lonely a family.” Did God say “I promise you will find a family but not on the internet, they don’t have very much solid advice so I’ll give you a family somewhere else.” no He didn’t. Yes trust in the Lord He always comforts you in times of need. I have a family and count all these people in here as part of my family also. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ our Lord! Why not take advice from the people here? Why not come to your extended family on here? I feel the Holy Spirit speak through people like Mimi, Debbie, Ceseeley, and all the others! Please don’t take what I say as a rude comment I’m just trying to stand up for the people you said don’t have much solid advice. I disagree.
    God bless you.

Posted via email from Christian Issues Digest